Here comes another recipe! This time, I decided to share a dinner recipe with you folks. One of my sisters, Lee, came up with the idea for this one. Drum roll please…lets make some LETTUCE WRAPS!
I know you’re probably thinking, “Lettuce wraps? That sounds too complicated.” Yes, the ingredient list may be a little longer than you’d probably like, but these little icebergs are pretty simple to make. Plus, they are SO delicious and a great crowd pleaser. **hint, hint**…next time you decide to invite your date over for dinner, these are a great way to show your guest how creative you can be!
It takes about 30-40 minutes to make these little wraps. I suggest going to Trader Joes to get all the ingredients, but if they’re serving pumpkin pie in their sample section, resist, resist, resist! (I tried, but failed). Gotta love TJ’s.
PS, if you want to save some time & ingredients, nix the dipping sauce recipe. TJ’s has this amazing Gyoza Dipping Sauce that compliments the lettuce wraps perfectly!
Ingredients for dipping sauce:
• ¼ cup sugar
• ½ cup warm water
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon hot water
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients for stir-fry sauce:
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Ingredients for chicken stir-fry:
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed to 1/2″
• ½ cup shredded carrots
• ½ cup mushrooms, minced to the size of corn kernels
• ½ onion, chopped fine
• 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
• 6 large leaves of iceberg lettuce
Directions for the dipping sauce:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water, then add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil. Mix well and throw in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
2. Just before serving, combine 1 teaspoons hot water with Dijon mustard and garlic and mix in small bowl. Add to the pouring sauce, 1/2 a teaspoon at time to taste.
Directions for the stir-fry sauce:
1. Prep the stir-fry sauce by mixing soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
Directions for the chicken stir-fry:
1. Combine oils and add to wok or large frying pan. Heat oil over high heat until it glistens, about one minute. Add chicken and sauté until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
2. Turn the heat under the wok down to medium-high. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, wait one minute, and then add garlic, onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and the stir-fry sauce you prepared earlier. Stir-fry everything until the mushrooms have cooked through, about 4 minutes, and remove to a serving dish.
3. Serve stir-fry with iceberg lettuce wraps and top with pouring sauce.
ENJOY and feel free to finish every last bite!